Smart door locks are electromechanical locking devices that unlock without a key and require the authorized owner’s verification. The smart lock is Wi-Fi enabled and works with different voice assistants. It notifies the owner of visitors’ arrival and departure, and some smart locks even keep track. This lock functions similarly to a conventional lock. You can use an app on your smartphone to open or lock a door.
Electronic Smart door locks come with smart lock apps that can be used as a substitute for a physical key. You can share a virtual key with trusted family members, friends, and associates.
By using a virtual key, smart door locks allow users to authorize access to a third party. This key can be transferred by regular messaging protocols like e-mail or SMS to the recipient’s smartphone. After receiving this key, the recipient will be able to unlock the smart lock for the time indicated by the sender.
How does an electronic smart door lock work?
An electronic lock is an electromechanical mechanism that uses current to open or close a door. It contains a small motor that is driven by electric impulses. Depending on the type of electronic lock, this motor can be activated using a keypad, a card reader, a fingerprint reader, a remote control, or a smartphone app. In any event, this system will only provide access if it gets accurate data. The mechanism closes with the help of electromagnets and a mechanical lock.
Types of Electronic smart door locks:
- Biometric Lock
- Wi-Fi Lock
- Bluetooth Low Energy Lock
- Z-wave Lock
- Electronic Cipher Lock
Advantages of Electronic Smart Door locks over conventional locks:
- Limited Authorized Access.
- There are various options to lock/unlock the home like Wi-Fi, smart lock, automatic lock/unlock, fingerprint, passcode, and mechanical key.
- Futuristic designs.
- Programmable: Electronic locks can be programmed with various access codes for each individual. It gives you more control over who is allowed to enter and who is not.
- Ability to monitor access.
- Keeps logs.
Market overview of Electronic Smart Door Locks:
The global electronic smart door lock market is estimated to be US$2,135.3 Mn in 2022 and is expected to reach US$ 9,904.0 Mn by 2032 at a CAGR of 16.9%.
Key Market Insights:
- Based on Product Type: The biometric lock segment is estimated to be the most lucrative segment. It is estimated to account for a 35.4% revenue share in 2022 and is expected to register a CAGR of 19.8% during the forecast period.
- Based on End-Use: The commercial segment is estimated to dominate the market. It is projected to be valued at US$ 6,039.3 Mn, with a revenue share of 61.0% in 2032.
- Based on Region: North America is estimated to be the most lucrative market. It is estimated to contribute 36.2% revenue share in 2022 and is expected to register a CAGR of 15.7% during the forecast period.
Factors driving the growth of this market:
- Increasing concerns regarding security and safety.
- A rise in the use of smart home automation.
- Increasing IoT penetration.
- The surge in contactless operations during Covid-19.
Get faster, higher-quality market research with a single platform for all your organization’s research needs.
Sign up for Data Feature now!