Collagen peptides are composed of short chains of collagen-derived amino acids. These are water-soluble supplements made from bovine or marine protein and are high in collagen types I & III, which are beneficial to the skin, bones, and joints. Collagen peptide is made by enzymatic hydrolysis of collagen and are easily absorbed by the body due to their high content of certain amino acids such as hydroxyproline-proline and hydroxyproline-glycine.
Collagen protein is not available to vegetarians. These are available in two types: marine collagen, derived from fish scales and skin, and bovine collagen, which is derived from cowhide.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is a structural protein found in both humans and animals. It’s essentially the glue that ties everything together. This protein can be found in skin, bones, tendons, ligaments, and connective tissues throughout the body. When you have less collagen, your skin becomes less elastic, resulting in more wrinkles. It can also cause other age-related problems, such as stiffening joints.
Our bodies produce less collagen as we age, but excessive sun exposure, smoking, excessive alcohol, and a lack of sleep and exercise cause collagen production to drop more quickly. Collagen in the deep skin layers degrades from a well-organized network of fibers to an unorganized maze as people age. Collagen fibers can be damaged by the environment, lowering their thickness and strength, resulting in wrinkles on the skin’s surface.
Different types of collagen?
- Type I collagen: It’s the most common kind of collagen in the human body. This collagen type preserves collagen levels in the skin, hair, and nails. It makes up the majority of collagen peptides.
- Type II collagen: It’s the most important component of cartilage and is incredibly beneficial to the skeletal system.
- Type III collagen: It’s commonly seen in the body with type I collagen. It’s mostly found in reticular fibers, like the ones found in the bone marrow.
Difference between collagen and collagen peptides:
- Collagen peptides are the more broken-down form of collagen.
- These are much shorter chains of amino acids than collagen. Thus they get better absorbed into the bloodstream. Hence, they are quite digestible, while collagen is not.
- Collagen is water-insoluble, although collagen peptides are soluble in cold water.
Benefits of collagen peptides:
Collagen peptides, also known as hydrolyzed collagen or collagen hydrolysate, can help prevent unexpected health problems by restoring some of the collagen supply in your body.
- Rich source of protein.
- It keeps your skin hydrated.
- Keeps your skin elasticity.
- Relieve joint pain in people with osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Strengthens bones and muscles.
- Boosts the immune system.
Side effects of collagen peptides:
- Appetite Issues
- Increase in Calcium Levels
- Allergic Reactions
Market overview of Collagen Peptides:
The global collagen peptides market is estimated to be US$ 792.5 Mn in 2022 and is expected to reach US$ 1,384.6 Mn by 2031 at a CAGR of 6.4%.
Key Market Insights:
- Market Share by Source: The ‘Bovine segment’ is estimated to be the most lucrative segment. It is estimated to account for a 42.0% revenue share in 2022 and is expected to register a CAGR of 7.4% during the forecast period.
- Market Share by Application: The ‘Fооd & веvеrаgеѕ’ segment is estimated to be the most dominant segment. It is estimated to contribute 38.3% revenue share in 2022 and is expected to register at a CAGR of 7.3% during the forecast period.
- Market Share by Region: Europe is estimated to be the most lucrative market. This market is projected to contribute a revenue share of 29.3% by 2031 and register a CAGR of 6.3% from 2022 to 2031.
Factors driving the growth of this market:
- Consumers are moving toward a healthier lifestyle and a high-protein diet in significant numbers resulting in the growth of the collagen peptides market.
- Demand from the cosmetics business is surging.
- Growing demand from functional and processed food & beverage industry.
Get faster, higher-quality market research with a single platform for all your organization’s research needs.
Sign up for Data Feature now!